Enter your email address:

Concert Review of Theresa Andersson at The Mint

>> Thursday, February 5, 2009

Your Ad Here




via : http://beatcrave.com/

I’m going to open up and share something with you – I’m a recovering addict. I used to attend concerts three to four times a week. When you give your body this much sensory over-load on a regular basis, you’re bound to become incoherently numb to pretty much anything music related that keeps you away from much needed sleep. Unless of course, it has the ability to make you feel something new and original that you’ve never felt before. With that in mind, when I received a text message that read “I was just at the most amazing show ever. Chills up and down my spine. You have to hear this.” I was left curious.

The text message was referring to Theresa Andersson. A soft-spoken, singer-song-writer from Los Angeles, California who tends to have more originality in her pinky than most people do in their entire body. Big words I know, but after familiarizing myself with her music on Myspace and loving every bit of it, I felt the only logical step next was to attend one of her residency shows at The Mint in Hollywood. The gloomy club is only two blocks from home for me, so it wouldn’t take much energy for a tired-concert-goer like myself to show up and see what she’s all about.

Well, what she’s all about blew my mind. She graces the tiny stage with herself, herself and herself; handling vocals, background vocals, guitar, bass, drums, violin and samples. Without the invention of the loop pedal, she wouldn’t have a gig. It’s common knowledge that people can create their own records pretty easily with pro-tools. All you have to do is record the guitar with one track, the bass on another, and so on and so forth. But Theresa Anderson goes one step further and does it all at the same time, in a live setting nonetheless. Prior to each song, she would spend approximately ten to twenty seconds setting up the next musical opus with drum and vocal loops, just to name a few. One thing I noticed was that the clapping from the audience would last up to thirty second, so half the time her set up was barely even noticeable. Quite a feet for someone just getting off the ground in the music industry.

Playing beautifully crafted songs such as “Na Na Na” and “Birds Fly Away” from her gorgeous album Hummingbird, it was easy to see why everyone is going crazy for this girl. She was recently invited to sing on David Byrne’s new record, will be performing on Late Night with Conan O’Brien next month, and has been featured on pretty much every top albums list of 2008 under the sun.

Needless to say, her show sent chills up and down my spine the entire night and left me craving more. After leaving the club, I couldn’t help but hum along to the music that was still circling around my head.

Have you given her a chance? Watch the video for “Na Na Na” and let us know what you think.


Your Ad Here

0 comments:

whos.amung.us - visitor maps

  © Blogger templates Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP